Charges Laid Against Pair In Two Related 2013 Investigations
Crown Counsel has now laid charges against two men as a result of two 2013 investigations conducted by the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit of British Columbia (CFSEU-BC).
In the first investigation, the CFSEU-BC announced on August 22nd, 2013 that a 42-year-old man had been arrested following an investigation into firearms trafficking. In this case, 12 guns were seized along with assorted ammunition, firearms parts, and suppressors. The original media release can be found here.
In the second investigation, the CFESU-BC announced on October 2nd, 2013 that a 32-year-old Duncan man had been arrested for allegedly illegally selling firearms. Two search warrants were executed in the Duncan area which resulted in the seizure of 10 firearms and a number of other items including prohibited firearms-related devices and thousands of rounds of ammunition. The original media release can be found here.
Jason Donald Whyte, , now 43-years-old, was taken into custody without incident at about 9:30 p.m. on January 13th near the 17700 block 58A Ave, Surrey, and has been charged with 11 counts of various firearms-related offences:
- Possession of a firearm while prohibited (1 count)
- Possession of a prohibited device while prohibited (1 count)
- Possession of ammunition while prohibited (1 count)
- Possession of firearms for the purpose of trafficking (1 count)
- Possession of restricted firearms with readily accessible ammunition without being the holder of a licence (2 counts)
- Possession of a loaded restricted firearm without being the holder of a licence (1 count)
- Possession of firearms knowing that he was not the holder of a licence (2 counts)
- Possession of a prohibited device (an over-sized ammunition magazine) knowing he was not the holder of a licence (1 count)
- Possession of firearms knowing that the serial numbers had been defaced (1 count)
Luke Gregory Massey, now 33-years-old, was taken into custody by the North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP officers at about 9 a.m. on January 14th in the 4900 block Cowichan Lake Rd, Duncan, and has been charged with five counts of various offences:
- Trafficking (transferring) firearms knowing he was not authorized to (2 counts)
- Possession of firearms for the purpose of trafficking (transferring) knowing he was not authorized to (1 count)
- Knowingly made a false statement concerning the theft of firearms (1 count)
- Public Mischief (with intent to mislead caused peace officers to enter an investigation by reporting that the offence of theft had been committed when it had not been committed) (1 count)
Massey has since been released and Whyte remains in custody.
For an audio clip: Charges Laid Against Pair in Two Related 2013 Investigations
CFSEU-BC Media Relations Officer: Sergeant Lindsey Houghton
CFSEU-BC Communications Strategist: Geeta Reddy
Desk: (778) 290-2873
Cell: (604) 499-4199