Working within the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit – BC (CFSEU-BC), the Organized Crime Agency of BC (OCABC) is recruiting an experienced Lab Manager who will be responsible for the overall operation of the Laboratory branch of the CGIG. The CGIG consists of a multi-disciplinary team of Analysts, Intelligence Officers and Investigators.
The Lab Manager will be responsible for coordinating laboratory services and supervising the lab personnel. Some of the duties include, but are not limited to:
• Examining and test firing firearms to determine mechanical condition and legal classification
• Examining and identifying ammunition, components and firearm parts and accessories which include air
guns, modified blank firing guns and flare guns
• Providing opinions based on observations using a generally accepted range of conclusions in the scientific
• Interpreting visual and microscopic marks with careful consideration of uniqueness.
• Ensuring the quality of work performed by the Forensic Firearms & Toolmark Examiner I and Technicians.
• Providing expert witness testimony in court based on examination findings.
• Maintaining certification and keeping current on new methodologies in the field of forensic firearm and
• Ensuring proper protocol is in place for safety and security of personnel, exhibits and inventory.
• Identifying training needs or implements procedural changes as necessary.
• Performing administrative and technical peer review of notes, reports and certificates
• Managing unit caseload to meet court disclosure deadlines and priority investigations.
• Implementing quality control protocols and assurances.
• Other related duties and responsibilities as assigned
We are looking for a strong team player with a great attitude, and the following qualifications:
• Minimum 5 years of laboratory experience as a qualified forensic firearm and toolmark examiner
• Extensive knowledge of forensic firearm and toolmark laboratory methods, techniques, terminology and
• Extensive knowledge using Excel, Word, Leica Microscope Imaging Software, Firearms Reference Table,
General Rifling Characteristics, PRIME
• Thorough knowledge of criminal investigation methods, especially in the field of scientific analysis and
the examination of physical evidence
• Ability to supervise technical staff and to plan services effectively
• Ability to design, construct or modify and test various types of laboratory equipment
• Ability to perform complex laboratory tests and interpret the results
• Ability to write technical reports and articulate scientific information and/or expert opinion to investigators
and the Courts
• Ability to maintain positive working relationship on a team environment.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a RCMP security clearance
Qualified applicants please submit a cover letter & resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org by October 25th, 2019
|Job Category||CFSEU-BC, OCABC|